Monday, October 29, 2007

Estoy en oaxaca cont'd

After finding out that the airline could not provide a hotel and the cheapest hotels were $50 and not very close to the airport I decided to just sleep in the airport. This didn't really work out so well because I could not enter the flight gate part of the airport until the next day and the rest of the airport seemed like it would be much harder to stay in, although I did look for the most comfortable table areas I could find. I noticed a woman about my age who was eating lunch alone and looked like she worked at the airport. She spoke some english and combined with my limited spanish she explained one hotel I could walk to that was economical. So I left the airport and walked a couple blocks to the airport she mentioned. Before I went in I thought I saw a hostel sign so I kept walking, but then a parade of dogs came around a corner and all I could think was "please don't bite me I didn't get the rabies vaccine, please don't bite me" and went back to the hotel. As soon as I walked in I could see the place was way out of my budget. As I waited for the person at the front desk a couple came out of the elevator, they looked very pacific-northwest and very friendly. I told them I speak very little spanish and that I was wondering how much rooms are here. We spoke for a minute or so, I explained what happened and because I hadn't planned on needing a hostel in Mexico City I never looked up the information and I was a bit wary of going on the metro to look for a hostel since it was already the evening. We continued to talk about my options and as an impulse, a very survival mode impulse I told Myrna, " I know I am asking too much, but is there any way I could sleep on the floor of your room, I can pay some and will stay out of the way." She immediately leaned in and said "We have 2 beds in our room, let me go ask Bill, he's a softy anyway." Bill agreed. Bill and Myrna were fantastic to me, amazing people. They were truly family away from family and really went out of there way to take care of me. Thank you thank you thank (MUCHAS gracias) Bill and Myrna of Seattle!

More on my stay at the hotel and what I have been doing since later, I want to go see a musician perform in a local bar woo hoo!

(No alcohol for me though. Not my thing, but I hear that the performer cannot be missed!)

No comments: